Popular Posts

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Diaper Bags

Picking the right diaper bag can be a daunting task.  There are thousands out there to choose from, and they can range in price from $10 to well over a couple hundred dollars.  There are so many styles, fabrics, patterns, and brands it can make your .  So, I'm going to share with you what I decided to do and what I have seen friends use that they like.

First, when picking a diaper bag you want to make sure it is easy to carry (padded shoulder straps) and large enough to fit:  diapers, wipes, changing pad, change of clothes, bottle/sippy cup, snacks, pacifiers, toys, medicine, blankets, your wallet and car keys.  This diaper bag will not only house your babies necessities while out and about, but it will also be your purse for the next few years.  Unless, you want to tote around a diaper bag, baby (possibly in a carrier), and a purse....  If that's the case, good luck to you.  :)

Next, you want to think about style and price.  Because this is something you are going to want to have with you when you go out with your little one, it would be nice if it weren't completely hideous.  If you are able to and want to spend the money, then get a fun patterned one.  Get a couple different ones.  But for those who don't want to drop a bunch of money on a glorified duffel bag that will get beat up pretty bad, but still want a bag that looks nice and is functional, try thinking outside the box.

I looked at the big baby stores, target, department stores, on-line and even coach for a diaper bag that would fit most if not all of my needs.  Here were my requirements:
  1. Under $100.  I don't like to spend that much money on my own purses, so why would I want to spend that on a bag that is going to get used and abused (maybe...no probably even vomited on/in)?
  2. Durable.  Like I said, your diaper bag is going to be thrown, stepped on, sat down on some questionable surfaces, spilled in and on, and filled to the brim.  I wanted something that could handle the wear and tare.  
  3. Washable.  As beautiful as the leather diaper bag was, it just wasn't practical for me.  I needed to be able to stick it in the washer and clean it really well.  You wouldn't believe how dirty diaper bags can get.
  4. Enough room to pack everything Hudson and I would need for an afternoon out.  Obviously, if you are going away for a couple days, you will need an overnight bag or something much bigger to contain all necessary items.  But, for a diaper bag you really only need enough space for what you might need for a couple of hours.  You don't need to be able to pack everything including the kitchen sink though.  :)
  5. Cute and Identifiable.    I wanted a bag that would look nice and that I can pick out from other bags (think daycare or church nursery)
Here are my top diaper bag picks:
  • The Cindy Tote from Thirty-One Gifts.  This is what I currently use and really like.  It is large, in a pattern I like, and I got it personalized with our last name.  I LOVE THAT YOU CAN PERSONALIZE THESE BAGS!  This is easy to clean, it's durable, and the price is right.  Thirty-One also makes other totes that look like they would work as well.  They have come out with some cute things sense I was in the market for a diaper bag.  You can check out their products here.  If you don't already know someone who sells Thirty-One, my sister in law would love to help you.  You can check out her personal page and get in contact with here here.
  • Coach Diaper Bags.  On vacation I fell in love with one of these beauties.  I was never able to pull the trigger and actually purchase it (even thought it was 40% off at the outlet).  I did have a friend who swore by them though.  In fact, she got one in black and one in white so she could wear it with anything.  Apparently they hold up really well and lets be honest, they are pretty.  According to my girl friend, she is planning to use the same bags for baby #2 (years later).  You can compare different styles and prices on Amazon.com or you can check out the Coach Factory Outlet on-line.
  • Petunia Pickle Bottom.  Chances are, you have heard about or come across one of these beautiful bags.  While they are pricy, they are well made and very stylish.  There are lots of options and price points, so they are worth checking out. 
There are obviously more diaper bags and brands out there, these are just the one's I am most familiar with and like best.  

Don't forget to go to Marshalls or TJ MAX.  Sometimes they have diaper bags in their purse section and you can get a really great price on a designer diaper bag.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment